Nikon SB-800 Speedlight
The Nikon Speedlight SB-800 has been designed with the D2H digital SLR and other top level models in mind, offering the highest standards in performance.
The i-TTL Balanced Fill-Flash control forms the core of the Creative Lighting System by utilising a more advanced data communication system. This introduces an improved method for the monitor pre-flash and wireless operation over Nikon's previous D-TTL Balanced Fill-Flash control system.
The Nikon Speedlight SB-800 makes Advanced Wireless Lighting with one or more flashguns as easy to use as a single on-camera speedlight. This invites professional and advanced amateur photographers to explore the unlimited creative possibilities.
Advanced Wireless Lighting lets you divide SB-800 Speedlights into 4 groups, including the Master and 3 remote i-TTL speedlight groups, to achieve total lighting control. All groups can be controlled from the Master, including independent flash mode ([TTL] / [AA] / [A] / [M]) settings and any-time adjustment of flash output level compensation values for each group.
Each of the three remote groups can contain any number of Speedlights, giving photographers full control over how they illuminate the background.
With Distance Priority Manual Flash Mode, the photographer can set the distance and aperture, and the SB-800 automatically sets the power output - a great feature for manual flash [M] shooting at weddings and for product shots.
The FV Lock (Flash Value Lock) maintains the flash value for correct exposure of the subject while zooming or otherwise changing the composition for a shot, so photographers can concentrate on lighting a particular subject.
Auto FP High Speed Sync Mode provides ample fill-in flash when shooting in bright light with fast aperture lenses to achieve effective blur in the background. When the mode is active, the camera automatically uses high-speed flash synchronisation to make shutter speeds available that exceed the camera's own flash sync speed.
A Modeling Flash allows photographers to visually preview the lighting effects for all groups of speedlights when using Advanced Wireless Lighting to shoot with multiple flash units, a great aid in achieving the exact lighting desired.
The SB-800 is also fully compatible with existing Nikon cameras, retaining the same functions as the SB-80DX when used with them. Auto flash control uses D-TTL on Nikon DX Format digital SLR cameras and TTL and Non-TTL Auto Flash on film cameras.
With its ease of use and unlimited creative potential, the Speedlight SB-800 will be welcomed by photographers who want complete, yet simple, control over their lighting.
Speedlight SB-800 Major Features
- Compatible with both digital and film SLR cameras; auto flash control is set to match the camera body: i-TTL Balanced Fill-Flash control with the D2H, D-TTL Balanced Fill-flash control and Auto Aperture Flash [AA] with D1 Series and D100 digital SLR cameras, and TTL and Non-TTL Auto Flash [A] with film cameras.
- As easy to use as a single on-camera speedlight
- Intelligent i-TTL system supports Advanced Wireless Lighting and versatile functions for up to 3 remote i-TTL speedlight groups controlled through the master SB-800
- Individual flash mode settings ([TTL], [AA], [A] and [M]) are available for each of the four groups (3x remote groups + 1 master controller) for easy total lighting control based on the brightness of the subject and not simply on general output ratios for each group
- Four frequency channels prevent other photographers from inadvertently triggering flashes
- FV Lock (Flash Value Lock) allows photographers to change the composition or zoom for the shot while maintaining desired lighting of the subject
- Auto FP High Speed Sync Mode delivers needed fill flash in bright light
- Distance Priority Manual Mode is a great feature for manual flash [M] shooting at fixed distances, such as wedding photos and product shots
- Modeling Flash allows photographer to preview lighting effects
- Dot matrix LCD provides large, easy to read graphics, and ergonomic control design makes the buttons and switches simple to access and use
- SD-800 Quick Recycling Battery Pack is included - adds a fifth R6(AA)-size battery for shorter recycling time between flashes
- SJ-800 Colour Filter Set is included - contains two colour filters, one for tungsten lighting and one for fluorescent lighting
- AS-19 Speedlight Stand is included - complete with tripod connector