Designed for a wide range of customers, from novices to serious and experienced photo enthusiasts the Nikon D70 is a compact, lightweight, easy-to-use digital SLR featuring a 6.1 effective megapixel Nikon DX Format CCD image sensor. The 5-area autofocus system is fast and precise, and includes an AF-assist illuminator to help maximize performance even in dark shooting conditions. It can shoot a rapid 3 frames per second for a continuous burst of 144 pictures (when using JPEG NORMAL - large settings, and a 256MB CompactFlash card) thanks to improved buffer memory handling, faster image processing, increased memory card access speed and greater system bus bandwidth.
6.1 million pixels
A new 6.1 effective megapixel Nikon DX Format CCD image sensor featuring wider dynamic range and a higher signal to noise ratio produces 3,008 x 2,000-pixel images with high resolution and superbly sharp details suited for making large prints, or for cropping for creative detail.
The D70 employs the popular Nikon DX Format sensor and Nikon F lens mount design. This maintains compatibility with all AF Nikkor lenses while allowing photographers to take full advantage of high quality DX Nikkor lenses designed exclusively for Nikon's D-series digital SLR cameras and optimized to achieve outstanding centre-to-edge-to-corner image quality.
Controls are located for easy access and smooth operation. Menus are presented clearly and in plain language on the large LCD monitor. Innovative new shooting options have been added to simplify the photographic process, whether controlled manually or via advanced automatic operation.
The D70 has seven new automated Digital Vari-Program selections, accessed from the new Mode dial for a combination of personal control and powerful automatic operation. Modes include Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Close-up, Sports, Night Portrait, Night Landscape.
The built-in speedlight automatically pops up and fires when natural light is inadequate or to add fill-in flash. i-TTL improves the accuracy of the monitor pre-flash used by the system's 1,005-pixel RGB sensor to evaluate flash exposure and perform an automatic balanced flash. The D70 lets you shoot at synchronized speeds up to 1/500 second for great fill effects under brighter light conditions. FV Lock maintains the measured value while recomposing the shot so you still achieve the appropriate flash output for the subject. Flash exposure compensation lets you increase or reduce flash output for yet finer control.
Shutter speeds of 30 to 1/8,000 sec. ensure full creative control. The built-in auto pop-up flash can synchronize at shutter speeds of up to 1/500 sec. for fill-in flash effects. Sensitivity can be set between ISO 200 to 1600 or controlled automatically across the same range of settings to maximize available light.
The D70's advanced System LSI processor is programmed for next generation performance to produce the finest in vivid colours and clarity, while maximizing the speed of file compression, memory buffer handling, simultaneous recording of JPEG and NEF (Nikon Electronic Format) files, and near-instant LCD image display.
White balance/exposure compensation
Nikon's acclaimed 3D Colour Matrix Meter with 1,005-pixel sensor assures accurate auto TTL white balance. Six different manual white balance modes, preset white balance, and white balance bracketing are also available for full creative control. Exposure compensation and flash exposure compensation combine with auto exposure bracketing to further aid in achieving the perfect shot.
At a glance:
- 6.1 effective megapixels
- Nikon DX Format CCD imaging sensor for 3,008 x 2,000-pixel images
- Advanced digital image processor to optimize image quality, control auto white balance, auto tone and colour control
- Accurate white balance achieved by 3D Colour Matrix Meter with 1,005-pixel for highly precise control over white balance regardless of lighting conditions
- Continuous shooting at 3 frames per second for a continuous burst of up to 144 pictures (The number of continuous shots possible in a single burst may be fewer depending on the type of CF card used.)
- Immediate power-up has the D70 ready to take pictures before your finger can reach the shutter button
- High performance System LSI uses next-generation programming to greatly increase the speed of all processing and writing operations
- High-speed, high precision 5-area AF system
- Fast shutter speed with a range from 30 to 1/8,000 sec.
- Seven Automated Digital Vari-Program selections
- New Generation Colour Reproduction System offers a choice of three colour modes
- JPEG and NEF Combination Filing
- System enables simultaneous recording of NEF (RAW) and JPEG data for the same shot to optimize and accelerate workflow
- Large LCD monitor with user-friendly menus
- Built-in auto pop-up flash features exclusive i-TTL flash control, fast 1/500 sec. flash sync shutter speed, and supports Nikon's Creative Lighting System
- Direct printing to any PictBridge compatible printer
- Nikon software bundled
PLEASE NOTE: image is for illustration only, the lens is not included.