Nikon SB-900 AF Speedlight
Topping the range of Nikon Speedlights, the powerful and versatile SB-900 also works as a stand-alone flash, featuring wireless operation as a Commander or wireless remote light source.
Streamlined controls and menus
The Rotary Select Dial sets key flash functions quickly and a prominent Master and Remote control switch simplifies wireless operation.
FX/DX format identification
Automatic FX/DX switching optimizes light distribution angle.
Expanded Auto Power Zoom Coverage
The SB-900 provides excellent zoom coverage from 17-200mm in the FX-format and 12-200mm coverage in the DX-format.
Three light distribution patterns
Improve light quality by selecting Standard for general illumination, Center-weighted for portraits, or Even for groups or interiors.
User-friendly firmware updating
Allows uploading of performance enhancement developments to the SB-900 with select Nikon digital SLR cameras.
Colour gel filter identification
The SB-900 automatically identifies mounted colour gel filters and adjusts the camera’s auto white-balance setting with select Nikon digital SLR cameras.
Flash Tube Overheat Protection
An added measure of safety is provided for sustained high-speed bursts.
Multiple Remote Speedlight Control
The SB-900's Wireless Commander Mode offers wireless control at the master Speedlight position. Four wireless channel options allow you to manage wireless conflicts in multiple photographer environments.
Optional Drip-proof mounting foot cover
Water guard for enhanced moisture protection available separately
- Guide Number: 34m at ISO 100
- Electronic Construction: Automatic Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor (IGBT) and series circuitry
- Flash Exposure Control: Slow-sync; Red-eye reduction in Slow-sync; Front-curtain sync; Rear-curtain sync; Rear-curtain Slow-sync Shooting functions: Auto FP High-Speed sync; FV Lock flash
- Lens Coverage: 17 to 200mm (FX-format, Automatic mode), 12 to 200mm (DX-format, Automatic mode), 12 to 17mm (FX-format, Automatic mode with built-in wide-angle panel deployed), 8 to 11mm (DX-format, Automatic mode with built-in wide-angle panel deployed)
- Bounce Function (Tilt): Flash head tilts down to -7° or up to 90° with click-stops at -7°, 0°, 45°, 60°, 75°, 90°
- Bounce Function (Rotate): Flash head rotates horizontally 180° to the left and right with click-stops at 0°, 30°, 60°, 90°, 120°, 150°, 180°
- Minumum Recycling Time: 4.0 sec. with Alkaline-manganese (1.5V), 4.5 sec. with Lithium (1.5V), 3.0 sec. with OxyrideTM (1.5V), 2.3 sec. with Ni-MH (2600 mAh)
- Flash Duration: 1/880 sec. at M1/1 (full) output to 1/38,500 sec. at M1/128 output
- Power Source: 4x AA-type batteries or optional SD-9 High-Performance Battery Pack/ SD-8A High-Performance Battery Pack/ SK-6 Power Bracket Unit
- Dimensions: 78.0 × 146.0 × 118.5 mm approx
- Weight: 415g approx
- ISO Range: 100 to 6400 ISO
- Ready Light: Blinks when fully recharged. Also warns if insufficient light for correct exposure (in i-TTL, Auto Aperture flash, Non-TTL Auto flash, or Distance-priority manual flash operations)
- Minimum Number of Flashes: 110 with Alkaline-manganese (1.5V), 230 with Lithium (1.5V), 190 with Ni-MH (2600 mAh)- Note: When firing Speedlight at full output once every 30 seconds (120 seconds with lithium).
- Wireless Flash Modes: Off, Master, Master (Repeating), Remote, SU-4
- Wireless Communication Channels: Four