Inspired by the legendary OM system of SLR cameras but the Olympus OM-D E-M5 is anything but vintage with its innovative 5-axis image stabiliser and AF speed that’s class-beating at time of release.
Rugged, Tough Design
With a real nod towards classic OM designs, this camera looks like it means business and its dust and splashproof magnesium alloy body also has a Super-Sonic Wave Filter to remove dust from the image sensor.
Revolutionary Image Stabiliser
The OM-D E-M5 introduces a world-first 5-axis Image Stabiliser for a System Camera (as of Feb 2012). It corrects for horizontal shift, vertical shift and rolling, as well as the usual yaw and pitch (in other words the shakes as well as the wobbles). Equally as good with movies as with stills.
Class Beating Autofocus
The Olympus OM-D has the fastest AF system of any DSLR or System Camera as of February 2012. This is achieved using a further refinement of FAST AF (Frequency Acceleration Sensor Technology). Faster and quieter than ever.
Extra Fine and Ultra Fast Sensor
This camera includes a 16.1 megapixel Live MOS sensor that runs at a rate of 120fps and can shoot still images at 9fps (locked focus) and 4.2fps with AF activated (using Olympus 12-50mm lens). Sensitivity is as high as ISO 25,600 and there’s an expanded dynamic range too for better defined highlights and shadows. The OM-D also uses Fine Detail Processing technology derived from the E-5 to eliminate moiré and false colour, and Real-Colour technology to render more difficult hues far more successfully.
The 1.44 million-dot EVF has 100% field of view, a maximum 1.15x magnification and high 18mm eyepoint. For added convenience there is auto-switching between the EVF and OLED screen when your eye is put up to or taken away from the viewfinder. New for this camera is EVF Creative Control which allows separate brightness adjustments of highlights and shadows with an overlay of the tone curve, impossible with optical viewfinders. Other adjustments like aspect ratio and white balance can be similarly previewed.
Extra Bright OLED Monitor
The OM-D’s 3.0” monitor is the superior OLED design that is self-illuminating for beautifully produced image quality. It is a tiltable design with 80° upward tilt and 50° downward tilt, 610,000-dot resolution. In addition it has fast-response touchscreen functionality enabling gesture-based focusing and shutter release. A newly developed feature for this camera, Live Bulb lets you view a “B” exposure as it is being created (in other words the total exposure so far) on the monitor and adjust exposure times if desired.
Also on the viewing side, there is a faster return to Live View mode after shooting an image because it is not dependent on the image being fully captured.
Full HD Movies
The OM-D E-M5 records Full HD quality video with the option of recording in MOV format (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) for easy post-production. Recording time is approximately 29 minutes. You can also record in Motion JPEG format and in addition add special effects such as echo.
Several art filters are included for adding your own personal style to your photos. Art Filter Bracketing lets you apply several filters onto a single shot for experimentation, including the newly introduced Key Line filter which enhances edge lines for an illustration effect.
- Built in Flash: Yes
- Charger Included: Yes
- MegaPixel (Effective Resolution): 16.1 megapixels
- Focal Length Conversion Factor: 2x approx
- Megapixel Banding: 16 to 16.9 Megapixels
- Viewfinder / Screen Accessories: Olympus VF-2, Olympus VF-1, Olympus VF-3
- Focusing Modes: One-shot AF, Continuous AF, Manual
- Lens Fitting: Micro Four Thirds
- Continuous Shooting Speed (fps): 9fps
- Max Consecutive Shots: 17 in RAWm up to card capacity in JPEG
- Auto Exposure Bracketing: Yes
- Exposure Modes: Program, Aperture Priority, Picture Modes, Shutter Priority, Manual
- Exposure Compensation: Yes
- Touchscreen: Yes
- Body Dimensions (WxHxD) mm: 121.0 x 89.6 x 41.9mm
- ISO Speed Range: 100-25,600
- Metering Modes: Partial Metering, Centre Weighted, Spot, Colour Matrix
- Weight (g): 425
- Video Out: HDMI, PAL, NTSC
- Audio Recording: Yes
- GPS: No
- Sensor Size (WxH mm): 17.3 x 13.0mm
- Connection Type: HDMI, USB 2.0
- White Balance Modes: Auto, Manual, Preset, White Balance Bracketing, Custom
- Remote Compatibility Type: Olympus RM-UC1
- Movie Mode: Yes (with Sound)
- Monitor Size: 3.0"
- Compatible storage media (card not supplied): SDXC, SD Card, SDHC Card
- Max Image Resolution: 4608 x 3456 pixels
- Grip & Power Attachment Fitting (Optional Acc.): Olympus HLD-6