As Nikon’s flagship DSLR camera the D4 has been designed to push the limits of what is considered possible in performance. Its full frame 16.2 megapixel sensor produces images with exceptional efficiency and speed (11 frames per second) with very low noise levels. The Kevlar and Carbon Fibre composite shutter is extra durable too with a standard life cycle rating of 400,000 releases, 30% more than its predecessor the D3 range.
Highest Image Quality
Using its 16.2 Megapixel FX Full Frame Format sensor, the Nikon D4 produces images of stunning sharpness and clarity. Using a 14-bit A/D Signal processor built into the sensor there is excellent noise suppression too. For added accuracy you can adjust Colour Temperature in 10K increments, including an option to calibrate the LCD monitor.
Amazing Speed and Sensitivity
At 11 Frames per Second, the D4 offers a faster frame rate than any other Nikon DSLR. Shutter speed range is also ultra-impressive having up to 1/8000 sec speed. In addition the camera is always at the ready, having a 0.12 second startup time and 0.042 second shutter release time lag. The 16-bit image processor completes the picture to obtain an ultra fast and efficient workflow.
For everything from sports photography and shooting in low light to lush landscapes, the wide ISO range is extendable to an incredible 50-204,800 (Normal range is 100-12,800). As an added bonus for regular telephoto users, there is improved AF performance in low light, increasing AF capability to f/8 full aperture – of particular use when attaching teleconverters.
Broadcast Quality Video
The D4 records movies in Full 1080p HD quality at 30p, 25p and 24p frame rates. You can also select 60p, 50p, 30p and 25p options at 720p quality. Full HD is recordable in both FX and DX formats. The D4 also has stereo mic and headphone jacks. For the highest quality output, the HDMI signal is uncompressed.
There are so many advanced features on the D4, too numerous to mention all of them but as examples, the following are included:
Sensible and User-Friendly Layout
- Advanced Scene Recognition with 91,000 pixel RGB Sensor with 3D Subject Tracking
- Time Lapse Movie – 24 to 36,000 times faster than normal
- HDR Mode - using two exposures to maximise dynamic range. There is the option of adjustment of edge sharpness where the two exposures meet, for a more natural transition.
For efficient operation, several useful and logical functions have been included:
- Convenient Custom Controls
- Identical controls for portrait and landscape orientation
- 3.2” 921,000-dot LCD monitor with wide viewing angle and up to 46x on-screen zoom (ideal for confirming focus)
- High Eyepoint Viewfinder for comfortable viewing
- Dual-axis virtual horizon – for levelling L to R and backwards to forwards
- On-Camera Editing
For the widest compatibility with greatest data transfer speed permutations, the D4 uses both Compact Flash and XQD cards. There is also Wired LAN connection integrated into the camera body.