The Nikon D50 features a 6.1 effective megapixel Nikon DX Format CCD image sensor and a highly advanced image processing engine that team together to create truly faithful image files capable of significant enlargement, yet remain manageable in overall file size. These optimized components produce more consistent results, even under shooting conditions, such as when working with light-coloured subjects or long exposure shots.
The compact, light-weight design of the D50 makes it easy to carry, while its body contours and easily accessible controls provide handling efficiency and easy operation. Newly designed on-screen menus present clear and helpful user information on the D50's large 2.0-inch LCD monitor, and intuitive help dialogs are available for on-the-spot reference to the respective menu selections. The high-capacity rechargeable lithium-ion battery helps extend mobility and convenience by delivering the power to shoot up to 2,000 images on a single charge.
Vari-Program modes on the D50 simplifies picture taking, freeing the photographer to concentrate on capturing the moment. Selecting one of the seven easily distinguishable icons from the handy exposure mode dial optimizes otherwise complex settings and ISO-equivalent sensitivity to produce consistent results. Newly added is "Child" mode, which makes it easier to take memorable pictures of the little ones complete with ideal vivid colour and contrast. Full manual exposure control is also available, allowing more advanced photographers all the creative freedom.
When the power is turned on, the Nikon D50 is ready to shoot in just 0.2 seconds for near-instant readiness. The shutter's release lag time is also minimized for near-instant response that virtually eliminates a common frustration of digital photography.
Continuous shooting at 2.5 frames per second can be maintained for bursts of up to 137 pictures, making action photography a reality. Pictures taken are instantly processed and recorded to the photographer's SD (Secure Digital) memory card. A USB 2.0 Hi-Speed interface supports faster transfer of images when connected to a compatible computer.
Shutter speed choices extend from 30 sec. to an action-stopping 1/4,000 sec. A high-speed flash sync speed up to 1/500 sec. makes great fill flash photography possible, and Nikon technology makes it automatic. A bulb setting is also included for long exposures. The shutter is designed to ensure fast curtain action for consistent operation and accurate, predictable results, even at high shutter speed settings. AUTO ISO maximizes available light by automatically setting ISO-equivalent sensitivity across the available range of 200 to 1600. D50 photographers can also opt to set the ISO sensitivity manually for personal control.
The D50's 5-area autofocus system inherits Nikon's proven cross-type centre sensor, broad frame coverage, and class-leading low light detection, and delivers AF precision with fast, more consistent subject acquisition and improved focus tracking. The new system adopts AF-A mode for smooth automated operation that switches between AF-S (single-servo autofocus) and AF-C (continuous-servo autofocus) depending on the movement of the subject in the framed shot. An AF-assist illuminator is also included, which helps maximize performance when shooting in low lighting conditions.
Nikon's 3D Colour Matrix Metering II ensures accurate exposure control in most types of lighting situations by automatically comparing input from its frame-wide 420-pixel sensor for each scene to a large onboard database of over 30,000 scenes from actual photography. Professionals and amateurs alike rely on Nikon's exclusive light metering technologies that produce ideal exposures instantly. Newly developed exposure evaluation methods detect highlights and shadows in the frame, and compensate for them to help minimize under or over-exposure by comparing the lighting pattern of the frame with the onboard database of scenes, thus enhancing performance for more accurate and consistent exposures.
At a glance:
- 6.1 effective megapixel Nikon DX Format CCD image sensor
- Seven automated Digital Vari-Program selections, including new "Child" mode
- Advanced autofocus that features speed, precision, broad frame coverage, and an automatic AF illuminator that maximizes performance and shooting ease in low light
- 3D Colour Matrix Metering II ensures accurate exposure control and white balance
- High-performance digital image processor employs exclusive technology to quickly render vivid colour and clear details that are ready to print.
- Fast 2.5 frames per second in bursts of up to 137 frames, (when using JPEG Normal, Large settings, and a 256MB SanDisk Ultra II SD Card)
- 0.2 sec. power-up and short shutter release time lag for near-instant response
- Fast shutter speed with a range from 30 to 1/4,000 sec. for full creative control
- Fast flash sync shutter speeds up to 1/500 sec. available for great fill-effects under brighter light and difficult back-lighted conditions
- Fast data transfer and recording to SD memory cards
- Simultaneous recording of NEF (RAW) and JPEG data for the same shot helps optimize and accelerate workflow
- Large 2.0" LCD monitor with intuitive menus and help display
- Built-in Speedlight with flash coverage for 18mm lenses
- Light-weight, compact body designed for operational ease and comfort
- Long-life rechargeable lithium-ion battery delivers the power to shoot up to 2,000 pictures on a single charge (Battery life figure determined by in-house test parameters)
- USB 2.0 (Hi-Speed) interface for fast data transfer.